Saturday, August 22, 2009

One dish dinner...

here's the happy little camper eating some leftovers from the One Dish Dinner.... only he's showing that of course, there really doesn't have to be only one dish- maybe you'd like to add cheesy cauliflower, watermelon and yogurt too!
hopefully this little picture won't send you running for the hills or opt to never try my One Dish Dinner... but I understand if it does.... i actually apologize for the photo, i keep forgetting to take pics as I cook! it really did look much prettier than this in the beginning.
so, back to the ODD, it seems to be a favorite of mine...it does make it easy to plan for dinner. i like a vegetable, meat and carb- having it all in one dish, great!

so my latest one dish dinner: Spinach and Mushroom Chicken casserole
now with a title like that, i bet you are all kinds of curious as to the main ingredients, right? i bet... ha ha ha...
I started with leftover Rotisserie Chicken (traditional herb seasoning from Walmart) - and as always, it's just guessing here on the amounts...well, to start, actually--- i sprayed a 9x13 glass dish with Pam and preheated the oven to 350.
So, Rotisserie Chicken- maybe 2-3 cups
an entire container of fresh mushrooms, sliced
a box of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and pressed dry
2-3T frozen seasoning vegetable mix
a whole small onion, chopped (I really only use sweet onions, the others give me a headache)
1/2 of a large bag of whole wheat pasta- egg noodle type- boiled, only partially cooked though since they are headed into the oven
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4oz reduced fat sour cream
and I definitely would have added sliced water chestnuts if I had any on hand, seeing as I was out- no addy this time
for added crunch, once this was in the casserole dish, I sprinkled chopped pecans across the top
this baked for about 35 minutes, during the last 5 minutes I added French's French Fried Onions on the top and baked for 5 more minutes
It turned out pretty good. I would possibly cook the noodles only 3 minutes, remove them from the boiling water and layer them on the bottom of the casserole next time, instead of mixing them in...don't know just might.